The land at Cams Estate was registered to Earl Godwin in the Domesday Book entry of 1086. By 1770 Cams Hall was owned by Brigadier General Carnac, the MP for Leominster, who commissioned a new mansion for the estate, the buyer was Peter Delmé. Cams Estate then remained in the Delmé family for a century.
In World War II, the estate was requisitioned by the Admiralty, who occupied the building until 1948. The structure was heavily damaged by the explosion of ammunition barges at Bedenham pier in Portsmouth Harbour which destroyed the roof and blew out all of the windows, leaving it a ruined shell. It was sold in 1951 but left to deteriorate, and fireplaces and roof leading were stolen.
The Estate and surrounding land was bought by Strand Harbour Securities Ltd in 1991.
Peter Alliss and Clive Clark were chosen from leading international golf course architects to translate the natural and varied features of the Cams Hall Estate into a course of unusual beauty and variety. Their design reflects the special understanding they have of the needs of British golfers. Alliss and Clark have created a magnificent 6,201 year, Par 71, 18 hole course and a 3,202, Par 36, 9 hole course which twist and turns close to the splendid 18th century façade of Cams Hall, through the ancient parkland with its beautiful specimen trees and across the pretty coastal landscape where gorse bushes fringe a natural links environment. All around are views across the water and towards the architectural splendours of Cams Hall. The gentle undulations of the course and the absence of steep hills make it suitable for golfers of all ages,
Cams Hall Estate Golf Club is operated by Crown Golf, who acquired it as a part of their purchase of American Golf in 2004. The club, to this day, is well respected in the local area and has been very successful since its conception in 1993.